Build a Musical Foundation
Using a small-group approach to music education, Kindermusik for the Young Child provides a pressure-free class where your child can develop a strong musical foundation by learning the concepts, language, notation, and vocabulary of music and its greatest composers. The program is designed to prepare the young child who is eager for first experiences with musical symbols and instrument discovery but is not yet ready for formal lessons and traditional music reading with an instrument. Parents or caregivers are encouraged to attend the last 10-15 minutes of class.
Age Range: 5 to 7 years
Class Structure: Four 16-week semesters. While each semester builds on the previous, there is sufficient review for new students to be added each semester.
Class Length: 60 minute class each week
Class Size: Class with no more than 12 children
What a Parent and Child Will Experience in Class:
- Singing and vocal development — It may sound like a foreign language when a child sings “ta” and “ti-ti,” but this is the language of professional musicians and composers and getting young children ready to read and write simple rhythm patterns.
- Movement — See children dance expressively to music, giving them the practice they needs to coordinate their body movements to the sound of music. This kind of musical play not only improves musicianship, but physical coordination as well.
- Reading and writing — Young children will learn melodic notation and identify pitches such as the C, A, and D notes on the treble clef, plus rhythmic notation. Eventually even composing their own music.
- Focused listening — Children will learn to identify a range of orchestra instruments and their sound qualities, while also gaining an early awareness and knowledge of composers and masterworks in Western arts tradition.
- Exploring and playing musical instruments — Authentic percussion, string, pre-keyboard, and woodwind instruments expose children to the many choices for future musical study, and at the same time provide them with the opportunity to musically succeed before taking on more formal instruction.
- Developmentally appropriate curriculum for children ages 5 to 7 years; caregivers attend the last 10-15 minutes
- 16-week semester (total 32 weeks per year)
- Weekly 60-minute class
- One set of Home Materials per semester—Children’s folder with stickers and Music At Home cards, Family Songbook, instrument (wind, string, or pre-keyboard instrument depending on the semester), CD of music from class, canvas bag (during first semester) and games bag
$558.00 Pay in full for 32 weeks
Payment plans: Monthly payments: $62.00 (September through May)
For additional information on tuition fees, terms and scheduling, please contact us at 315-737-7498